Sunday, January 16, 2011

Evening Time

Hello again, everyone.


I'm thinking, "Goodness, it's only a quarter 'til 2pm at home." I figured I'd be over the time difference, but I suppose that I was thinking of it in such a technical manner. Sure, my body's over it. I've been sleeping in and staying up late. Eating on a schedule far, far different from the one that I followed at home (sometimes no schedule at all... my body loves me for that). There's just something in one's "heart" that constantly pulls them toward everyone that they love. I guess that's the thing that is constantly reminding me that I am used to the time being 9 hours earlier than it really is.


Well, I do miss you all. I sent out a few London post cards right when we arrived in Spain (I know... How silly of me. There just wasn't enough time in London.), and we picked up some Barcelona cards yesterday that we'll be sending out next week. This trip has really illuminated the importance of loved ones... and reminding them as often as you can of their status in your life. When we set down in London I was a bit nervous since the friend that I was expecting to have there was unable to be. Unable to hold my hand through one of the biggest experiences of my life. It turned out to be quite a lucky thing. However, on New Year's Eve we found someone that I would have considered an acquaintance - but the fact that we hung out with him on foreign soil... on a major holiday no less... catapulted the relationship onto a different plane. It is quite amazing to think of it now...


...and then Barcelona. I can't speak for Jessica, but I was absolutely intoxicated with the idea of this city. I knew that I had not studied the language enough before leaving. My excuses are worthless now, and I really wish that I had made more of an effort in the months leading up to the trip. So we landed and we knew no one. We were so fortunate that every sign in the airport had an illustration and an English translation. It would have taken us hours to get out of there otherwise. So we're plopped into the middle of this city with an infantine understanding of the language and zero contacts. The first week was nerve-racking. Then we made a few (fantastic) friends, explored a little bit, learned the life-saving phrases, and wouldn't you know it - we're becoming more and more like locals every day. Relationships are really what make life worthwhile. They can come out of nowhere and change your life. I cannot be more grateful for all of you that had a hand in making this trip possible... making my every day possible by being around. Just being yourself and being gracious enough to spend time with me when we get the chance.


So, this is me telling you all that we are doing so well here. I'm having the most fantastic trip and feel that I will return with more love in my heart for all of you (and for everyone that we meet here and have to leave behind...) For anyone that hasn't explored enough of the world - do it. It is inconceivable how much you will learn about life's possibilities and about what you are capable of (and this is an easy trip!).


I love you all and I'm sending out some love for Jessica as well.


Thanks for checking in.


-D

1 comment: